UNIVERSITY PRESS TO PUBLISH HONOR THESES

PERMANENT COMMITTEE TO BE ORGANIZED LATER

Four honor theses by Harvard undergraduates will soon be published by the Harvard University Press with the money which was donated for that purpose last year by Herbert Nathan Straus '03. The theses were chosen from the best essays submitted in the Bowdoin Prize competition, and from the best theses written by candidates for honors that were recommended by the various University departments.

The four essays selected out of the twenty that were considered are: "William Chilling worth, and the Theory of Toleration," by J. D. Hyman '31, recommened by the department of History and Literature; "The Broken Column," by H. T. Levin '33, who was awarded the first Bowdoin Prize; "The New England Fur Trade," by F. X. Moloney '31, submitted by the Department of History, and "The Problem of Pricing in a Socialistic State," by W. C. Roper Jr. '31, who concentrated in Economics.

The Straus theses are to be published in order to encourage further undergraduate work in this line, as well as to give an idea of the range of study a Harvard undergraduate may pursue, and it is hoped that the publication of several student theses each year with the money made from the sale of books the year before, will become a permanent institution. The essays, ranging from 8,000 to 15,000 words, are to be published in separate volumes, and will be ready next week.

The committee that judged the theses was made up of members of the Bowdoin Prize Committee, and although this group was chosen to judge this year on account of its former experience, is is expected that next year a permanent committee will be formed, and a definite system of judging be inaugurated. The members of the present committee are as follows: Oakes Ames '98, F. B. Artz, C. C. Brinton '19, acting chairman, F. O. Matthieson, H. E. Rollins, and C. R. Post.

classes