BOOK COLLECTION FOR THE KIRKLAND HOUSE IS RECEIVED

An Hundred Volumes From Original Library--Remaining Books Will Be Duplicates

A duplicate of the late President Roosevelt's library at Sagamore Hill will be the feature of the Kirkland House library, it was announced yesterday by Huntington Brown '22, chairman of the Library Committee. One room of the Hicks House, which is connected by a passageway with the Smith Halls quadrangle, will ultimately be given over to this collection. About three cases of the books, which will be given by the Roosevelt Memorial Association, have already been received, among them a complete file of Punch. Included in the collection will be about one hundred volumes from the original library of the late president, the rest being duplicates.

The Kirkland House library differs in several important respects from those in the other Houses. Situated in the Hicks house, it has six small reading rooms, each with a fireplace in working order. In place of the customary arrangement by subjects, the books are for the most part grouped according to the periods in which they were written. Some subjects, such as Government, Economics, and the sciences, do not lend themselves to such treatment but as far as possible divisions have been made into Antiquity, Medieval, 16th, 17th, 18th, 19th, and 20th centuries. All books in History, Literature, Philosophy, and so forth which, by virtue of a historical rather than theoretical treatment of a subject of by virtue of date of origin, are associated primarily with a period in history are arranged in this fashion. The object of the plan is to enable the student in one field to visualize all the aspects of the period he is studying.

Among the valuable books in the library is a copy of John Hall Stevenson's "Crazy Tales," of which there are believed to be only three copies in the United States. Several early editions are also in the possession of the House, including Hooker's "Ecclesiastical Polity" and Sir Walter Raleigh's "History of the World."