Rise and Sing

THE PRESS

"For Yale it is another indication that she has the welfare of her community at heart. Having given $15,000 in cash to the community chest, and having provided $100,000 to create employment, she has already done New Haven a generous deed but in a less fantastic way. This coupled with her participation in the plan announced today, shows her willingness to meet extraordinary proposals called for by the present acute emergency.

"Practically, the scheme is so novel in its conception that it will undoubtedly fill the bowl. An additional feature which will assure large attendance is the fact that a substantial reduction in the price of tickets will be made, thus enabling a larger portion of the student body to respond to Mr. Young's call which was addressed to the members of the universities. At the same time Harvard's refusal to join the concert of powers 'although defensible is not understandable.' It is certainly a great shame that Harvard could not see her way to become a member of this sporting proposition.

"All in all 'elimination tournament' is a happy solution and compromise to all individuals and organizations who have brought pressure to bear upon the respective colleges. It should at once satisfy the proposal of the student council that the undergraduates take some part in the relief program; it should meet the demands of the aldermanic committee who constantly look up to Yale as a golden Santa Claus; and finally it should appeal to the athletic association in providing a substitute for a regular post season game. A proposition that appeared to the association to be leaded with dynamite." --Yale News.