THE COLLEGE AND UNEMPLOYMENT

Just what is an endowed university's responsibility to society? Whatever it is, it is certainly never financial or political. Its essential purpose is social. It is the responsibility to give to society its quota of educated men, men who are equipped by an institution to make the best contributions possible to the world in which they live. This is true in normal times; periods of financial depression tend to double this responsibility rather than add one of monetary obligation.

If, however, the political leaders of the country call upon the colleges in a time of financial crisis to contribute to unemployment relief it is not for the colleges to object and point out that such a duty is not within their province. They can, however, refuse to comply with the suggested methods for raising money if these methods contradict their educational policy. Harvard has done this thing in refusing to allow its football team to play in any post-season charity game.

In this action the University made clear that it was by no means averse to aiding charity through a common effort by its undergraduates and graduates. Today's proposal amplifies this stand. The plan to take collections at football games is practical and in harmony with good educational policy. The money given for charity at these games will be entirely separate from that taken in by the regular admission. It allows for straight-forward giving to charity; it is only done at football games because there the greatest number of people can be reached at one time.

To deny that the present plan did not also involve an attempt to clear Harvard from any adverse publicity which it received because of its previous stand would be folly. The mere manner in which the proposal was railroaded through testifies to that. The tactics employed are open to censure, and admit that the plan adopted is really an attempted explanation of an already justified policy. But what matters most, however, is that Harvard undergraduates, graduates, and friends will have the opportunity to contribute to charity in a manner which at least comes close to approximating ideal giving.