GOVERNMENT BY DISCUSSION

Scarcely has Premier Laval left America's shores when Signor Dino Grandi, the Italian Minister of Foreign Affairs, will arrive. A fiery little man who represents Mussolini, he comes to chat with President Hoover on matters of international interest.

He announced that he plans to discuss the maintenance of the gold standard, the revision of peace treaties, limitation of armaments preparatory to the Geneva Disarmament Conference next February, and the revision of German war indemnities. He intends to talk quite freely of Italy's stand on all these matters. Fresh from Berlin where he met and talked with the heads of the German government, Grandi will be able to present a different point of view than that of Laval.

This conference between Hoover and Grandi is not an attempt to offset the influence of Laval, but rather, like Laval's visit itself, an effort to bring about a better understanding between nations by mutual and unhampered discussion.

International relations are too complicated to allow any nation to stand apart. War, as a result, is inevitable if secrecy and suspicion are to be the rules of international conduct. The only answer is to pursue the policy of frank, and open diplomacy.