THE PRESS

Depression and the Student

Harvard Juniors must within another week commit themselves definitely as to whether they do or do not wish to become part and parcel of the House Plan during their Senior year. In other words, the system which has been so deplored and so defended at Cambridge and at New Haven will now receive its first and perhaps its most vital test, that of undergraduate support or condemnation. Each junior at Cambridge must decide whether he desires to align himself with the new Harvard or prefers to complete his course under the traditional social system.

Since before many years the undergraduate at New Haven may face a similar decision the results of the room applications at Cambridge ought to be viewed with especial interest. Undergraduate opinion there has been consistently hostile to the House Plan, yet the University authorities have gone ahead with no appreciable alteration of their original plans. Now the undergraduate must either refuse to acquire an intimate knowledge of the coming Harvard or accept the usual inconveniences of living under experimental conditions. We hesitate to predict the proportion who will choose the latter course, yet undoubtedly many will acquiesce in it against their better wishes; probably they will squirm under its impositions.

We shall at any rate watch with a very real interest the forthcoming developments, inasmuch as they will be the first manifestations of a movement, which may affect many American universities. They are certain to be quite at odds with anything we have hitherto tried on any scale; as such they merit careful consideration. In the last analysis, however, we are secretly glad that the hostages of fortune will be drawn from other ranks than ours. --Yale News