EXETER ACADEMY GAINS SCHOLARSHIP CONTEST

HARVARD PHI BETA KAPPA MAKES PERMANENT AWARD

The Phillips Exeter Academy has again won the Scholarship Trophy offered by the Harvard Chapter of Phi Beta Kappa. The competition is open to all schools of the United States which prepare not less than seven boys for college, and it is an important aspect of the plan that a competing school need not send any of its boys to Harvard.

The offer provides that a school shall present the best seven of its graduates as a team and that the teams shall be rated according to the weighted average based upon the highest examination grades obtained in four selected subjects in the case of each of their seven members. The candidates must take the examinations of the College Entrance Examination Board.

The weighted average of the team representing Exeter was 90.44 per cent; the school next in order, with 89.81 percent, was the Lawrenceville, New Jersey School, last year's winner; in third place was the Boston Latin School, with 87.92 per cent. Since the term of seven years for which the trophy was offered for annual competition has now been completed, the permanent award will be made. Boston Latin School is the winner, having gained the trophy four of the seven years.

The members of this year's winning team who are at Harvard this year are A. M. Kelly '35, W. M. Hastings '35, C. L. Barber '35, Richmond Harrison '35, and R. S. Salant '35. Another member of the team, Henry Swan, Jr., intends to enter Harvard with the Class of 1936.