HOUSE ATHLETICS

The word experiment as applied to the House Plan has been rightly relegated to some far off limbo. In connection with House athletics it is, however, still a cogent limitation. There is little basis on which a discussion of sport relations in and between the various houses can be made at present. The somewhat varied success of the athletic attempts of Dunster and Lowell Houses this year places the brand of experiment even more indelibly on the approaching problem.

The Student Council report on House athletics, printed in part in this morning's CRIMSON, recognizes the precariousness of House athletics. In stating that the whole problem must be left to evolution the report is correct. Harvard men will not be pushed into any activities. Facilities for House athletics should be provided so that men can take part in their chosen form of sport at their pleasure. There should be no forced attempt to establish house athletic traditions and "house spirit" should be spontaneous.

It is highly problematical if every house will care to or will be able to have a team in every sport. Meeting the situations as they arise will be the duty of the individual house athletic committees, as the report indicates. The practical aspect of advising each house to have an athletic committee besides its regular committee is hardly questionable. Too many groups of undergraduates meeting in conference tend to confuse matters, however. Hence it seems that the addition of an inter-house athletic group would be superfluous. It has been pointed out before that the Student Council will of necessity become an inter-house council next year. It is practically certain that this group will be able to handle matters of inter-house athletic importance which will come up.

The clearing house for all these athletic matters should be the secretary for House athletics, a position which the Athletic Association seems quite willing to create. The holder of the post should be one well acquainted with Harvard sports, who will give his undivided attention to the work. He should be in complete charge of routine and detail work and accept the advice of the student committees in matters of policy. Through intelligent and sympathetic management by this one man rather than through the slow deliberations of several committees will House athletics be run efficiently and to the through enjoyment of all.