SOPHOMORES WILL TAKE SHAKESPEARE AND BIBLE TESTS

Aim to Separate Qualifying Tests From Honor Examinations--Start With Class of 1934

In order to divorce qualifying examinations from general examinations for distinction, and to enable students to gain a more extensive background on which to prepare for the general tests as early as possible in their college careers, the Department of History and Literature will give Bible and Shakespeare examinations to Sophomores during the May reading period, beginning next spring with the Class of 1934. This announcement was made yesterday by Assistant Professor F. O. Matthiessen, Head of the Board of Tutors in History and Literature, in letters to Sophomore concentrators in the field.

The Ancient Authors examination will be given, as heretofore, at the beginning of the Junior year. All three of these examinations will be qualifying tests for further examinations at the end of the Junior year, which, in turn, will lead to the general tests for distinction taken by Seniors. The innovation was explained by Professor E. A. Whitney '17, as a further step toward the aim of separating the general or divisional examinations in the field of History and Literature from the tests taken to qualify for these examinations. By giving the qualifying tests sooner, students will have more time in which to prepare for the comprehensive general examinations. Ideally, men will also gain a broad general background as a basis of preparation for Senior examinations earlier than is probable at present. The new step will give men in the field an opportunity to devote more attention to the Ancient Authors examinations.

New men changing to the field in their Sophomore or Junior years must prepare for the tests immediately as a prelude to the later more comprehensive survey. Another advantage accruing from the shift, it is felt, is that the student, with two examinations completed in his Sophomore year, will have two years to prepare for general examinations. The present Sophomore tutorial program will also receive additional direction and stimulus. The innovation was made in part as an answer to the criticism that the preliminary tests were given to close together for adequate preparation for any one of them.

Under the system as it stands now, the men taking honors tests will be a selected group which has passed prescribed qualifying examinations