"Harvard Style"

THE PRESS

Warner, the football coach who for fourteen years had charge of Carlisle Indian elevens, and last week brought on the Leland Stanford team for its game with Dartmouth, in the Stadium, recently contributed to Collier's an article in which he tells some of his experiences with the Indian players. Naturally he pays attention to the trick Carlisle worked on Harvard in 1903, when Dillon, one of the Indians, hid the ball under the back of his jersey, and made a touchdown from the kickoff because the Harvard players could not tell where the ball was.

One paragraph in Warner's article will interest Harvard readers:

"Mimicry was another well-developed trait, and after every Harvard game the boys had a lot of fun parodying the Cambridge accent, even those with very little English attempting the broad A At that however, Harvard was the Indian idea of perfection and, whether on the football field or in the schoolroom, anything very good was always commented on as 'Harvard style'". --Harvard Alumni Bulletin