ATHLETICS FOR THE HOUSES

Under the aegis of the Student Council representatives of Yale and Harvard met yesterday in an attempt to solve the problems of inter-collegiate relations arising from the House Plan. There can be no doubt that the House Plan has created the possibility of linking the internal house athletic systems of both universities in intercollegiate competition. To obtain by visits and conferences a working knowledge of the Houses, in practice as well as theory, is the first step towards solving these problems.

Whether the Student Council can solve the technical aspects of the situation is open to doubt; at any rate the last word will inevitably lie with the administration. That the administration is not forgetting the intramural aspects of inter-collegiate competition was shown in the conference held during the fall when representatives of the Yale and Harvard athletic organizations met to discuss the situation.

The present conference, outside or its ordinary social aims, may be regarded as a research committee gathering material for reference when the time for decision comes. At that time when the Yale Quadrangle system goes into effect, Harvard will have lived for a year under the House Plan. With this year of experience as a basis for judgment a better solution for the problem of inter-collegiate competition will be possible than can now be reached.