COMPARISON OFFERED BY HERZOG BETWEEN HARVARD, WISCONSIN

FINDS MORE INTIMACY BETWEEN STUDENTS AND TEACHERS

Having--denied a statement appearing in a Boston newspaper Saturday, which declared that the Experimental College of the University of Wisconsin was to be discontinued, P. M. Herzog '27, who has been a member of the faculty of that college for the last three years, compared it with Harvard University and gave a summary of its ideas and ideals when interviewed last night.

Herzog declared that the principal difference between the institutions is the curriculum. The college covers only the first two years of college life, and the curriculum is concerned more with the beginnings of a liberal education than with the partial specialization that is emphasized at Harvard. The curriculum embraces the study of Greek civilization of the Age of Pericles in the freshman year and contemporary modern civilization in the sophomore year.

Another comparison which he drew was in the tutorial systems which both institutions possess. While externally the same, the system used in the college in the freshman and sophomore years permits an even greater intimacy of the tutor with the student than is possible at Harvard. The tutor works with the student, and the two, to some extent, learn together. This is the plan originated by the president of the college, Alexander Micklejohn, former president of Amherst.

Three Fundamentals Stressed

Discussing the idea and ideals of the college, Herzog declares that it stresses three fundamentals: (1) the methods of teaching, (2) the course of study, and (3) the determining conditions of undergraduate liberal teaching.

With the purpose in mind of getting the student to develop his own powers of initiative and self-guidance in study, the college gives every opportunity for letting him have as much freedom as he wants in pursuing his course of study under the close personal guidance of an adviser who knows what he is doing. There are about 155 students in the college and 15 advisers who have individual conferences with 12 men. In addition to the weekly conferences each of the two classes meet a group three times a week, when the work at hand is coordinated. Attendance at no college exercise is required.

The course of study rests upon the use of the problems of Greek and modern civilizations to evolve an understanding of the eternal problems which confront everyone.

Stressing the social side of college life, the Experimental College men are grouped in one dormitory which also contains the offices of the advisers. Thus there is constant intercourse between the students and advisers who always welcome visits from the student body.

There are two features of the teaching program of particular importance--the Regional Study and the Study of the autobiography, "Education of Henry Adams." At the end of his first year life student chooses some community, usually his own city, town, or county, and prepares a paper of from 40 to 100 pages which is due at Christmas.