CRIMSON MATMEN OVERWHELM M.I.T. IN TWO CONTESTS

University Scores 29 Points Against Technology's 8 -- First-year Bouts Result in 27 to 3 Tally

Harvard triumphed last night in the wrestling meets with the Massachusetts Institute of Technology at the Technology Hangar Gymnasium. The score in the meet was 29 to 8 but it does not indicate the extreme closeness of almost every bout, nor the excitement which helped to make a very interesting match. The Freshman team had less trouble, piling up the most decisive margin of victory scored by any Harvard wrestling team for a long time, and almost inflicting a shut-out on the Technology first year men with the tally of 27 to 3.

The University meet followed after the Freshman bouts and started off with a close struggle between F. C. Evans '31 and his 118-pound opponent. The Tech man scored a quick fall, as did Evans also in the succeeding period, but a small margin of time gave the bout to M. I. T. In the 126-pound fight Arthur Klein '32 scored a fall, giving Harvard three points advantage. Following the next about which was won by Harvard, M. I. T. tallied again with a referee's decision, after a difficult struggle, but it did not manage to score again throughout the meet, although constantly on the verge of upsetting Harvard's hopes. In the 155-pound class a long and grueling battle between O. E. Goddard '33 and Vassalotti, one of Tech's veterans, wore on through an overtime period without much advantage on either side, Goddard finally coming out on top. The meet was clinched by three consecutive falls for Harvard in the heavier classes, by Captain W. A. Robertson '31, R. R. Levin '32, and R. W. Straus '31. Robertson and Levin were obliged to fight long and strenuously to win.

The Freshman score of 27 to 3 was the result of three falls and four decisions for the Harvardians, the first-year Engineers netting only a decision in the 165-pound class. Wrestling of high quality and of great interest was to be seen in practically every bout, especially in the 118-pound fight wherein R. D. Tucker put his opponent's back to the mat in just over a minute, and in the 135-pound struggle in which E. W. Chard scored a quick fall, and in another fall brought about by Captain Gridley Barrows in the heavyweight class. Closely contested bouts ending in decisions for Harvard held the watchers in suspense, in which Harold Frankel, J. U. White, R. M. Ward, and R. G. Ames figured as winners.

The summary:

118-pound class: Ripin (M.I.T.) defeated Evans by time advantage in falls.

126-pound class: Klein defeated Van Buren (M.I.T.) by fall in 4 min., 37 sec.

135-pound class: J. H. Crandon '33 defeated Shea (M.I.T.) by decision.

145-pound class: Captain Pittblattes (M.I.T.) defeated D. B. Dorman '32 by decision.

155-pound class: Goddard defeated Vassalotti (M.I.T.) by decision.

165-pound class: Captain Robertson defeated Snape (M.I.T.) by fall in 7 min., 10 sec.

175-pound class: Levin defeated Klein (M.I.T.) by fall in 9 min., 25 sec.

Unlimited class: Straus defeated Bailey (M.I.T.) by fall in 2 min., 23 sec