A GUIDE IN THE FOGG

One of the first requisites for an institution like the Fogg Museum is a catalogue suitable for the amateur art-student. There are many members of the University who have the inclination, but who have not the time, to study in the courses offered by the Department of Fine Arts. Such men would welcome a catalogue similar to that published by most museums here and abroad, describing the chief artistic treasures which form a part of the permanent collection.

The publication of a catalogue for the present exhibition of French Art shows that the Museum authorities appreciate the necessity of such a catalogue for displays which are merely temporary. It is obvious that a catalogue of permanent use to all those who visit the Museum would have a correspondingly greater value. The existence of the Society for Contemporary Art side by side with the Fogg Museum indicates that Harvard has an unusually large interest in these cultural subjects which are supposed to be the heart of a liberal education. The publishing of a museum catalogue is a logical method of stimulating and increasing this interest.