Geographical Records Show 48 States, 53 Foreign Countries Represented at Harvard--Mass. Leads Again in Number

Records of the geographical distribution of students coming to Harvard University during the current academic year show attendance from every state of the United States and from 53 foreign countries or United States possessions, it was made public at University Hall yesterday.

The ranking of the states shows the first five places unchanged, with Massachusetts leading by a large margin, New York second, Pennsylvania third, Ohio fourth, and New Jersey fifth. California and Illinois have changed places, the former moving from seventh to sixth, the latter from sixth to seventh. Connecticut remains eighth, Michigan has risen from tenth to ninth, and Maine changed from eleventh to tenth.

Of the 53 foreign countries and United States possessions on the list, eleven are newcomers, not on the list last year, and seven of last years' list have disappeared. Canada is as usual first, China second, Hawaii third, England and France are tied for fourth.

Thirty-two of the 63 Canadians are students in the Graduate School of Arts and Sciences, and 19 more are students at the Business School. The majority of the Chinese, 31 out of 54, are also students in the Graduate School of Arts and Sciences, while the remainder are spread through the College, Engineering, Business, Law, Dental, Theological Schools and the School of Public Health. Ten of the 27 from Hawaii are in the College. Four of the Frenchmen and three of the Englishmen are in the Business School. The number from the British Isles, including Scotland, Ireland, and Wales, numbers 23. All five of the Scotchmen are in the Graduate School of Arts and Sciences.