AUTHORITIES DENY REPORT OF LOWELL'S 1932 RESIGNATION

No Definite Information Available on Matter--Hibben Statement Taken as Precedent

The Harvard Publicity Office yesterday afternoon denied with its usual alacrity the announcement appearing in a Boston morning newspaper to the effect that President Lowell would resign in 1932. It was said there that no one knew anything of it and that the supposed scoop on the part of the paper was a complete surprise.

Rumors to the effect that Harvard's president would resign have been rife ever since it became apparent that the House Plan was becoming a reality and that President Lowell's educational dream had been realized. In newspaper and academic circles the occasion of his resignation has been placed at several dates all of which would seem to have some especial significance: his seventy-fifth birthday, which comes next December; the culmination of his twenty-fifth year in office, which falls in 1934; or the three-hundredth anniversary of the founding of Harvard, which will be celebrated in 1936.

Not only have dates been named but frequent conjectures as to his successor have also been made. There has been no definite information of any sort on the matter, however, and none is likely to come for some time.

The morning newspaper made as its excuse for running the story the point that the resignation was being announced now so that there would be sufficient time in which to choose a successor. The same reason was given recently by President Hibben of Princeton when announcing his intended resignation in 1932 at that time.