GOOD SEASON LOOMS AS NINE STARTS PRACTICE

First Day's Work Devoted Chiefly to Battery Candidates--Few H Men are Out

About fifteen pitchers and five catchers turned out at the LeBaron R. Briggs cage yesterday afternoon in response to the call for battery candidates for the University nine. A few H. men appeared and threw a ball around, but many letter men are still tied up with hockey or other sports. All aspirants were supposed to register.

With only six letter men lost out of 20, the Crimson nine stands a good chance of improving on last year's season. Two or three excellent men are coming up from the Freshman team, and J. L. Rex '32, who broke his finger last year, will be available in the outfield during the coming season. The Junior University is also sending up some good players.

At present it looks as if the strongest department would be the outfield, where B. H. Bassett '31, A. J. Lupien '32, Captain E. H. McGrath '31, J. L. Rex '32, and B. H. Ticknor '31 will compete for positions.

The pitcher's box should be warmly contested for by Charles Devens '32, W. H. MacHale '31, W. K. Page '31, and Ticknor. For the catcher's position the outstanding aspirants are S. L. Batchelder '31, Reginald Fincke '32, and J. E. Sheldon '32.

The infield suffers a severe loss in Captain F. E. Nugent '30, who handled second base last year and is the only man missing from the first nine. At first base W. B. Wood, Jr. '32 and Captain McGrath are competitors, at shortstop Wood and E. A. Mays '32.