TIMES ANNOUNCES CONTEST MARCH 4

Will Test Conversancy With All Affairs During Last Year--$250 in Prizes are Awarded to Winners

Open to all undergraduates of Harvard and Radcliffe who are interested in contemporary affairs, the annual Intercollegiate Current Events Contest sponsored by the New York Times will take place at 2 o'clock on Wednesday, March 4 in Room O on the top floor of the Widener Library. Only former prize winners will be ineligible to participate in the contest, which will consist of writing a three-hour examination paper. No previous registration or fees will be required in order to take the test; neither will the name or standing of any except the winning participants become public.

The examination will test thoroughly the candidates' familiarity with important events of the preceding 12 months, covering the period extending from March 1, 1930 to March 3, 1931. To the writer of the best paper a prize of $150 will be awarded; second and third prizes will be $75 and $25 respectively. The winning papers of all 20 of the colleges taking part in the contest will be sent to Professor Henry B. Huntington of Brown University, chairman of the executive committee, to compete for the additional intercollegiate prize of $500, which is awarded annually to the best paper.

As in previous years, the examination will probably be divided into two parts: the first will consist of several essay questions in which the candidates will be asked to identify and give the significance of important events of the preceding year; while the second will be made up of a number of fact questions. Short essays on such topics as exploration in the Antarctic, the aftermath of the stock market crash, and dictatorship in European policies were asked for last year: in the fact quiz, the candidates had to identify and bring out the part played in current news of such figures as Mme. Curie, Leon Daudet, and Ortiz Rubio as well as to answer briefly such questions as, "Who won the Pulitzer Novel Prize for 1928-29?" and "Who is governor-general of the Philippines?" Concise political summaries, on subjects such as the part played by the United States in current Russo-Chinese difficulties and Ghandi's attitude towards the crisis in India were also included in this division. Questions this year will doubtless be of the same type as these.

Inasmuch as only a small number of men have entered the contest in previous years compared to the great amount of interest it created, authorities decided to permit Radcliffe students to take part in the Harvard competition. Winners will be announced about April 1, together with the names of the members of the Department of Government who grade the papers. Last year's winner, H. G. Abdian '30, who is now in the Graduate School, received honorable mention in the intercollegiate competition,--a feat exceeded only by the Harvard entry in 1928, who won first prize in the intercollegiate contest