Alumnl Support of Athletic

In the midst of all the recent turbulent discussion of the evils attendant on overemphasis of football and superspectacle gate-receipts, there appeared the brilliant idea that the alumni might be willing to defray the expenses of our athletics by large annual contributions. At the time, the suggestion was condemned as unfair and impractical, and we are glad to see that it has finally been put to death by President Angell.

In his speech on Wednesday night at the University Club, he reiterated in summary his sane conclusions on the subject of the healthy condition of collegiate sport previously set forth in his address before the National Intercollegiate Athletic Association in December. And he added, "Intercollegiate games should be carried on within the bounds of such reasonable expenditures as can be provided by the participant, or by special gifts, such as the new Payne Whitney Gymnasium, or by sales of tickets to witness the contests." In this he has recognized the inevitable necessity of gate receipts for the maintenance of athletic facilities among persons of such varying degrees of opulence and ability as are comprised in Yale's large student body.

It is refreshing to see a declaration of the truth that the income from the annual fund raised among the alumni can be put to purposes far worthier and more urgently necessary than the support of our athletics; namely, scholarship and loan funds for self-supporting students, and the maintenance of adequate salaries and retiring allowances for members of the faculty. If the flow of money of generous alumni was diverted from the educational to the athletic channels, when there is no doubt as to which cause is the more needy, the press would have just cause to decry overemphasis. --Yale News.