FORGOTTEN MUSIC

At one time the Pierian Sodality enjoyed a reputation for excellence which drew men interested in orchestral work from all parts of the country. Today however the organization's standards are in no way comparable to those formerly maintained.

A University, such as Harvard, where there is no specific emphasis on music can not expect to develop an orchestra of professional standing, but the Pierian should be capable of maintaining sufficiently high standards to enable it to command the attention of all those interested in instrumental work. At the moment there is a determined effort being made to accomplish this, but the orchestra must have outside support in order to carry its program through.

If a university orchestra can not attempt to compete with specialists in the field, it should lay its stress on its educational value as a creative and practical laboratory. The emphasis should be on the benefit to be derived by the players rather than the pleasure it gives to its audience. To eliminate in this way the Pierian's financial support derived from its concerts, some provision should be made for its endowment. At present the orchestra is dependent on the Music Department, both for the use of Paine Hall and for the work of its conductor, who receives no compensation. If the leader were professionally engaged by the orchestra, instead of loaned by the Department, the organization would be greatly strengthened. In this way the Pierian would be independent, retaining its leader on a regular salary.

In its function as a musical laboratory the orchestra would have a double mission. For those playing, it is by far the best method of developing a real appreciation of music, and for its student audience it should act as an introduction to musical literature. An excellent way to create an informal atmosphere which would attract undergraduate audiences lies in the possibility of a series of "pop" concerts, where food could be served and the listeners would not be confined to uncomfortable theater seats. In addition the Pierian's scope could be increased if it were to unite occasionally with the Glee Club in the presentation of choral music.

The Pierian Sodality, which, founded in 1808 is one of Harvard's oldest institutions, could be made of real musical value. It deserves public support and greater publicity in order to allow it to develop the highest standards possible.