THE FRESHMAN INHERITANCE

As the applications are being field by members of the Freshman Class for rooms in the Houses next year, there is a repetition of the earlier complaint against the high prices now demanded. Since the applications have not yet been tabulated, it is impossible to discover how many men will be prevented from enrolling in the Houses through financial reasons. It is certain that there will be some.

Three months ago, when Sophomores and Juniors were making their arrangements for rooming next year, there was general discontent at the scale of prices. Some men were forced to abandon their ideas of joining the cross-section. Now the Freshmen are aware of the same strictures, the same dissatisfaction is being voiced, and the results will be the same.

There is no doubt that the University is in a difficult position, owning to the increased costs of the new housing system. With a heavier burden to maintain, one can understand its carefulness in charging rentals equal to the needs. But the fact remains, that students are the present losers, which means that the University, as it is now conceived, will suffer in the end. The Administration cannot afford to neglect this situation, or to allow financial barriers to block entrance to the Houses. To do so would be to defeat, from the start, the aim of the House Plan toward the establishment of cross-sections.