FIVE PROFESSORS RECEIVE GRANTS TO FURTHER STUDY

General Education Board Assigns New Funds to Harvard Men

Additional assignments to five professors for the pursuit of studies in the humanities at Harvard, for the year 1930-31, have been announced by the committee in charge of awards of the General Education Board.

M. S. Balch, instructor in English and tutor in the Division of Modern Languages, will receive a grant for the investigation of English plays and playwrights in France during the eighteenth century. G. L. Kittredge '82, Gurney Professor of English Literature, will receive a part of the assignment for use in connection with his work in collecting the ballads and chanties written by J. M. Carpenter.

A grant was made to J. B. Martin to aid in defraying the cost of printing "Allan Ramsay, a Study of His Life and Works". Milman Parry, instructor in Greek and Latin and tutor in the Division of Ancient Languages, was awarded a grant to aid him in preparing for publication, "A Handbook of Homeric Style; with Preparatory Studies."

H. E. Rollins, professor of English, will receive aid in printing Volume 1 of "A Poetical Rhapsody". A similar grant was awarded to Benjamin Rowland, Jr.