LEGAL AID ENDS RECORD YEAR WITH BANQUET

Total of 275 Cases Handled During the Year Betters Old Record by 33

Officially closing its work for the year, the Harvard Legal Aid Bureau held its annual spring dinner recently at the University Club in Boston. At the same time the recently elected officers for next year took up their duties.

T. R. Powell, Langdell Professor of Law, gave the principal after-dinner speech. All the members of the Legal Aid Bureau and a number of honorary guests were invited. Talks were given by the out-going and the in coming presidents of the bureau.

The dinner marks the end of the Legal Aid Bureau's most successful year since its beginning. A total of 275 cases were handled in comparison with 252 last year, which was at that time a record number of cases to deal with in one year. This gain is especially noteworthy in view of the fact that last year a drive was made to increase the number of cases, while this year's efforts were directed to the quality of the work and not the quantity.

Three definite innovations were instituted this year in striving to improve the work done by the bureau. Early in the fall a course of instruction was given for members of the bureau with lectures by judges, attorneys, and other men connected with the legal profession. Then the bureau hired a Boston attorney to supervise work being done by weekly visits. Finally, two officers have been spending their time checking over the under-takings of the members in order to see that there were no mistakes or delays.

All of the work of the bureau is not yet finished because it will be necessary to wind up a few cases yet in litigation, but the bureau is not accepting any new cases.