SOUND POLITICS

In the course of a recent address which inaugurated the Toulouse Fair, former premier of France Andre Tardieu adopted an original method of reply to political hecklers who attempted to interfere with his speech. When booes and hisses greeted his remarks he drew a tin whistle from his pocket and outnoised his opponents in a truly stentorian manner.

The possibilities which might be developed from this beginning are numerous and the creation of hullaballoes which could be stirred up to silence opposition would provide employment for many. One can foresee senatorial partisans mobilising forces of radio and talkie property men and armies of extras to create the sound and fury for drowning out opposition. New rules of parliamentary procedure could be formulated to restrict and regulate the use of mechanical aids. Machines operated by steam or hot air might be ruled out but such limitation would exclude some of the more prominent actors in the world of politics.

What opportunities for unemployed radio announcers, housewives, policemen, college cheer-leaders, and horn-blowers would be created. And even the Daughters of the American Revolution might have their turn. In the end the victory would be for the wise, those whose business is sound.