Applause in the Classroom

THE PRESS

A custom which has grown of late is that of applauding an instructor at the conclusion of a stimulating lecture. Applause, it should be noted well, comes not at the end of each class, but only those in which the student audience conceives the lecture to have been unusually entertaining. Though doubtlessly done with the best of intentions, this habit is apt to assume alarming regularity with subsequent disastrous consequences.

One of Yale's most justly applauded and admired teachers has pointed out with consummate tact and understanding that from the beginning of a lecture the instructor is under a nervous apprehension lest he may not receive the usual and expected applause. In consequence of this slight, he either becomes more distracted and less coherent in anticipation of further impending "disgrace," or else he "plays up" to the crowd, giving them entertainment, but not necessarily scholarly arguments on the subject in hand.

The student today is inclined to cater to this type of professor who entertains, who is stimulating and brilliant, rather than to him who pours out his knowledge abundantly, but without garnish. The two however, are not necessarily mutually exclusive. The best teacher combines progressive scholarship presented in an interesting way. These unfortunately are the exceptions, and many an entertaining course is denoted not by the subject matter, but by the name of the teacher, or his sobriquet.

Furthermore, applauding at every lecture may be an unconscious factor in determining the intellectual approach of, the speaker, particularly if he be still plastic and progressive in spirit. The possibility that it may be harmful to the teacher should discredit its use. In addition the undergraduates themselves on some occasions would often not like to applaud, but feel it too great a rebuff not to do so. At other times it commences with one enthusiast and it is only participated in by others out of politeness. With all these things taken into consideration, it would seem best to discontinue this practice except at such appropriate occasions as at the end of each semester when due appreciation should naturally be shown. --Yale News.