CASSEDY'S BOAT IS NAMED FIRST

Three 150-Pound Crews Row Henley Distance--Thirds Edge Seconds to Massachusetts Bridge

Winning from the two other University boats over the mile and three-quarter course in the Charles River basin last Saturday afternoon, Cassedy's boat has been officially pronounced the first by Whiteside, and will represent Harvard as such in the Triple Regatta at the end of the week.

The first 150-pound boat, racing the seconds over the Henley distance the same afternoon, led the junior crew over the finish by well over three lengths. The third lightweight eight paced the other two boats as far as the Massachusetts Avenue Bridge, and, rowing a consequently higher stroke, was edging the second boat at the end of the three-quarter mile course.

Under a stiff following breeze, which whipped up the Basin and made difficult going for the heavyweight oarsmen, Cassedy stroked his crew to a two and one-half length victory over Lawrence's boat, while Armstrong's craft trailed the latter by over five lengths. The time was 10 minutes, 22 seconds. In spite of the rough water, which kicked up the oars and slapped over the bows of the three shells, the Sophomore stroke held his crew to a beat of 33 over the greater part of the course, after a smooth start had secured him the lead.

On the Severn last Saturday the "heavy" Technology eight was decisively beaten by the Navy over the Henley course, trailing the Middies by two and one-half lengths. If this is the crew which will meet Harvard on the Charles next Saturday, as seems probable, a close contest should be expected. The Engineers showed unlooked-for power against the Navy, whose greater smoothness in rough water secured them the victory. They have furthermore the advantage of having raced once this season, while the Crimson eight has not been afforded serious competition in its occasional time-trials.

The first crew, as officially announced, is as follows: Stroke, C. J. Cassedy '33; 7. Robert Saltonstall '33; 6. W. B. Bacon '33; 5. Malcolm Bancroft '33; 4. A. N. Webster '31; 3. J. M. Erickson '32; 2. Captain J. W. Hallowell '31; Bow, W. H. Holcomb '33; Cox, F. S. Holmes '31.