NEW HOCKEY RULES

Another advancement in the regulation of athletic sports at universities was made recently when it was decided that all college hockey teams will use the professional rules next year. This change was foreshadowed last Spring and was practically certain to be made some time or another. It means, in the main, that forward passing in the third zone will be allowed, that the goal tender will be permitted to go down on the ice to make a save, and that the more stringent professional penalty rules will be enforced.

The adoption of the new rules is a welcome step in that it will make college hockey a faster and better game both to play and to watch. Players and spectators alike will benefit. Moreover, the addition of speed to the game will mean that more men, especially forwards, will be neded to play it.

The change to the new rules is also another demonstration of the influence that the players of the game have upon the regulation of it. Last year, after the professionals had adopted these rules, the move to have the colleges use them was tabled largely because of the influence of the smaller colleges. Harvard players, however, voted for the change. This year they did so again and with the aid of the other colleges, who had seen the success of the rules in professional games, gained the acceptance of the improved regulations. There is little doubt but that next year will find college hockey on a higher plane than ever before.