DRAMATIC REVIVAL

After nearly two years of controversy, dissent and resultant mediocrity, the Harvard Dramatic Club has resolved to regain its previous high standing. This spring as well as giving a performance which, though patronized by discouragingly small audiences, was unanimously lauded by critics, the Club is widening its influence by patronizing and making possible the professional production of "Electra". In its announcement this morning, the Club hopes to continue this policy of bringing to Boston classics which could not otherwise be presented. Carried out carefully, this plan should be advantageous not only to local theatre-goers but also to the treasury of the Club.

Financially, however, the Dramatic organization has its greatest problem. The last few performances have seen steadily dwindling audiences, with the result that the Club's exchequer is being sorely tried. Much of the drop in attendance can be blamed directly on the quality of presentation; an equal loss of prestige, however, is due to the choice of plays. "B. J. I.," the most recent production, although admirably handled, was admitted, on the whole, to be but a middling play. With the exception of one act, the plot was worthy of little commendation.

The question of what plays to produce is becoming increasingly difficult, particularly in view of the policy of the Club, which demands plays never before presented in the United States. Unfortunately, the professional stage is the first to obtain practically all of any promise. But the production of modern plays with popular appeal a solution which has frequently been suggested, would damage the whole purpose and standing of the Club. A feasible and not unprecedented idea is the presentation of revivals, unless there are unusual opportunities adhering strictly to policy. Besides attracting an audience interested in significant plays, the Club would continue to furnish definite contributions to the stage, and such a plan would materially push the renaissance of the Dramatic Club, already well under way due to revived enthusiasm and cooperation.