UNIVERSITY NINE SCORES 3-1 OVER QUAKER PLAYERS

Score Identical With That of First Last Month -- Mitchell Upsets Old Lineup

Treating the weekend crowd to an exhibition of air-tight baseball, the Crimson nine made it two in a row this year over a powerful Pennsylvania aggregation when it duplicated its 3-1 victory of last month. Captain McGrath's triple and Wood's circuit clout provided the necessary punch to edge the solitary tally that the Quakers were able to eke out against the crafty delivery of the red-haired Harvard moundsman, MacHale.

The Crimson ace, who pitches right-handed and bats southpaw, let down the conquerors of Yale, Cornell, Columbia, and Swarthmore with seven knocks and scored one of the Harvard counters in person. Peterson, Penn flinger, permitted only seven Harvard blows, but they were opportune and gave complete satisfaction. A good indication of MacHale's effectiveness lies in the fact that, beginning in the third inning and continuing until the seventh, the Crimson fadeaway expert retired 14 consecutive batters.

The net result of the game is that the Harvard players seem to have found themselves and should be expected to perform more of less creditably for the remainder of the season. Coach Mitchell sprung a surprise lineup on the visitors when he sent Wood to short, Mays to second, and shifted Captain McGrath to first. Although some of the throws to first from the vicinity of second base seemed unnecessarily slow, the new combination worked smoothly. Another encouraging sign in that Des Roches, one of the Crimson's most reliable batsmen at the beginning of the season, has begun to connect again after an injury lay-off that apparently dimmed his batting eye. On two occasions, the third sacker protested a called strike and then, on the next throw, singled sharply.

This week, the team will play William and Mary, Villanova, and Brown, William and Mary won the last game during the Crimson's spring trip by the score of 5 to 1. The contest with Brown is the first of a two-game series.

The summary:

HARVARD  ab  r  h  po  a  eMcCaffrey, c.f.  2  0  1  5  1  0McGrath, 1b.  4  0  1  6  0  0Ticknor, l.f.  4  0  0  2  0  0DesRoches, 3b.  4  1  2  2  0  0Rex, r.f.  4  0  0  4  0  0Mays, 2b.  2  0  0  4  1  0Wood, s.s  3  1  2  0  2  0Sheldon, c  2  0  0  4  1  0MacHale, p.  3  1  1  0  4  0  28  3  7  27  9  0PENNSYLVANIA  ab  r  h  po  a  eDennison, s.s.  2  0  1  3  5  0Hendler, l.f.  4  0  2  0  0  0Caristen, 2b.  4  0  1  6  2  1Graupner, c.f.  4  0  1  2  0  0Martens, 1b.  4  0  0  8  1  0Ford, r.f.  4  0  0  0  0  0McLaughlin, 3b.  3  0  1  0  0  0Jones, c.  2  1  1  5  0  0Peterson, p.  2  0  0  0  7  0  29  1  7  24  15