CABOT APPOINTED CHAIRMAN OF NEW DRY COMMISSION

Graduate Students are to Investigate Truth of 18th Amendment--Many Localities Represented

Professor R. C. Cabot '89, chairman of the Department of Social Ethics, was named head of a newly formed bureau of prohibition yesterday by Prohibition Director Woodcock. Professor Cabot refused to make any comment on the functions of the committee, but according to Woodcock's statement, the committee has been appointed to "ascertain the truth regarding the operation of the 18th amendment," with special emphasis on child delinquency and juvenile drinking.

The committee consists of nine professors from various college, representing all parts of the United States, and includes Samuel M. Lindsay, professor of Social Legislation at Columbia, William S. Carpenter, professor of Politics at Princeton, and Walter R. Miles, professor of Experimental Psychology at Stanford University. Study of the prohibition question is to be conducted along sociological and economic lines, with the utmost academic freedom to the directors of the research work.

The study is to be conducted by graduate students of various universities throughout the country, chiefly men and women who are working for their doctor's degrees. These students will be under the general supervision of the committee of which Cabot is chairman, and will make studies of conditions in various localities.

Woodcock expressed the opinion that "the gathering of factual material is one of the greatest aids to law enforcement and law observance.

"No compensation will be made by the federal government for this work. The members of the advisory council feel as the bureau does that the importance of scholarly work in collecting facts on the vexed question of what is really happening in the United States as a result of prohibition will appeal to scholarly minds as being well worth while."