BOK AWARDS WILL BE DISCONTINUED, DONHAM REVEALS

Will Pay School Expenses of Prizes for 1930--Borden Regrets Move Was Necessary

Dean W. B. Donham '98, of the Harvard Graduate School of Business Administration announced today the discontinuance of the Harvard Advertising Awards. No further awards will be given.

This action came as the result of a resolution of the trustees of the American Foundation in Philadelphia, the trust established by the late Edward W. Bok, from which came funds for the administration of the awards by the Harvard Graduate School of Business Administration. Dean Donham was informed of the action of the trustees in a letter, dated May 7, from Clarence Gardner, Secretary of the American Foundation, in which it was stated that the following resolution had been adopted:

Will Pay 1930 Balance

"Resolved, that the Treasurer and Secretary of the Foundation be authorized to arrange for the balance due the Graduate School of Business Administration of Harvard University for expenses of the 1930 Harvard Advertising Awards, and that the Secretary be instructed to notify the Administrators of these Awards that, in view of the reduction of income of the Foundation, it becomes necessary, much to the regret of the Directors of the Foundation, to discontinue the Harvard Advertising Awards."

The Harvard Advertising Awards were established by the late Edward W. Bok in 1923 to give recognition to meritorious advertising work. Since that date they have been administered by the Harvard Business School the awards being made by a Jury appointed each year by the Dean.

Borden Regrets Move

In commenting on the discontinuing of the awards, Profesor N. H. Borden, associate professor of Advertising in the Graduate School of Business Administration, said: "The necessity for discontinuing the awards is to be regretted, as they exerted a good influence in the advertising community."