OLD FORTRESS IS FOUND IN BOHEMIA BY GROUP

MEDITERRANEAN AND NORTHERN EUROPEAN PACES CONNECTED

One of the most outstanding European archaeological discoveries of recent years, a four thousand year-old fortress, was unearthed at Holmolka, Bohemia, by a group of American archaeologists, members of the Central European Expedition of the Peabody Museum of Harvard and the Museum of the University of Pennsylvania, according to an announcement made by University Hall yesterday.

This discovery, the most complete settlement of the Neolithic Period ever brought to light, is thought to be particularly valuable as a link between the cultures of the Mediterranean and the Northern Europe civilizations from which the stocks of the races now populating North America are drawn. This is the second trip made by the expedition. On the first, the site was discovered but it was not until a recent trip that the ground was cleared and its importance was made known. Another expedition will leave within a few months.

The Central European Expedition was headed by Dr. V. J. Fewkes, of Pennsylvania, and the assistant director was Robert Ehrich of Harvard. The work of the party was carried on under the auspices of the State Archaeological Institute of Czechoslavia, which is under the direction of Dr. Bochtela and Dr. Bohm.

The settlement at Homolka is situated on a round hill about 80 feet above the plain. The foundations of two stockades and ten houses have been determined by post holes and cellar pits. These were found after the party had searched the entire region for several days.