REVIVED HITTING SHOWN IN CRIMSON WIN OVER BRUINS

Scores Second Successive Victory Over Sondheim--Harvard Collects 15 Hits in Afternoon

Evidently finding the scorching weather a tonic for the batting eye, a vicious Harvard baseball nine went on a hitting spree last Saturday at Providence, and it took the best efforts of two Brown pitchers to confine the visiting nine to 15 bits and a 10 to 2 run victory. The game was a flashy spectacle from start to finish, with the free hitting of the winning Harvard batsmen being offset by the professional in fielding of the Bruin basemen, who staged four fast double plays during the tilt. Mac Hale garnered his second victory of the season over Brown, his delivery proving just as baffling day before yesterday as it did when he helped his team to a 13 to 5 win over the Bruins earlier in the season.

Ticknor Leading Batter

Ticknor was the leading Harvard batter, making two triples and a homer out of five times at bat. The powerful left fielder scored three of his team's 10 runs himself, and in addition drove three more scampering across the plate. Mays also hit well, collecting three safe blows out of four times at bat, while Wood added a triple and a single to the Harvard total of hits.

MacHale went the entire game on the hill for Harvard, letting the Bruin players down with but five hits, while during the major part of the contest the sorrel-haired twirler forced the opposing batsmen either to pop weak flies to the outfielders or to bat out easy rollers into the hands of the greedy infielders. In addition to MacHale's stellar pitching, the entire nine turned to and gave the moundsman fine support, making several speedy infield combinations to stem the scoring efforts of the Providence team.

Sonheim on the mound for Brown went fairly well for five innings, the Harvard players scoring but one run in that time, the result of McGrath's single coupled with two Bruin errors. In the sixth frame, however, Coach Mitchell's forces increased their margin by two more scores, when Ticknor acted as an unsteady influence on Sondheim by starting off the stanza with a long triple to left field. The frame was but a few minutes older when Wood duplicated Ticknor's three-base clout, and later scored on a sacrifice fly by Lupien. In the following inning Ticknor again connected with Sonheim's delivery for three bases, sending two men across the slab with scores, and later crossed the plate himself for Harvard's sixth run.

Harvard Scores in Ninth

In the last innings of the tilt Harvard added one more run to the total in the eighth, and three more tallies in the concluding stanza, when Ticknor put his bats away for the day after driving out a nifty homer. The losers staged a slight rally in the eighth, scoring their two sole runs at this time.

With the season's schedule rapidly dwindling, the Crimson forces are to take the field on Wednesday against Rhode Island State, the peppery diamond team that put up such a battle on the Soldiers Field diamond last year, when they were barely repulsed 5 to 4.

Whether or not Wednesday's game turns into a battle royal, the Crimson nine will surely meet stiff opposition wins over Brown, Princeton, Dartmouth, and Penn to its credit in recent tilts. The Yale baseball team, which Harvard meets for the first time on June 16 at New Haven, spent Saturday afternoon administering a 5 to 2 beating to the Princeton team which recently lost to McGrath's compatriots by a 7 to 2 margin. The Elis did not play impressive baseball, however, making but six hits, while two of their tallies were presents from two Princeton twirlers, each of whom issued bases on balls at the wrong time to force in the scoring.

The box score:

HARVARD  ab  r  h  po  a  eMcCaffrey, c.f.  4  0  0  3  0  0McGrath, 1b.  4  3  2  12  1  0Ticknor, l.f.  5  3  3  0  0  0Desroches, 3b.  4  0  0  2  4  0Wood, s.s.  3  1  2  1  3  0Lupien, r.f.  3  2  2  2  0  0Sheldon, c.  4  0  2  4  2  0Mays, 2b.  4  0  3  3  2  1MacHale, p.  4  1  1  0  0  0Total  35  10  15  27  12