DEMOCRACY NEEDS GOOD DEMAGOGUES, CARVER DECLARES

Honest Officials Must Learn to Get Public Favor--Office Does Not Seek Man, He Asserts

"We have had enough experience already to convince us that the office does not seek the man. There is no hope for democracy unless intelligent and honest men run for office, and they will have little success in the race for office unless they are trained for it." Stating thus, in an article written for the CRIMSON, the problem which confronts those anxious for good government, T. N. Carver, David A. Wells Professor of Political Economy, makes a frank appeal for a "department of demagogics" to train men for winning the public favor. Professor Carver's article follows.

"Must Get Elected"

"Educators will generally agree that there should be more university men in government work. Legislation no less than administration needs men of scientific training. Why, then, should educators and educational institutions neglect the one means of accomplishing what they all desire?

"If scientificially trained men are to fill government positions, they must manage to get elected or appointed. Departments of Economics, of Government, and of Sociology may teach men what the Government should do; men trained in these departments may know what to do when or if they ever get into public office; but unless they are also taught how to get elected or appointed, these departments will have little influence on government.

"In those times when advancement in public affairs came through the royal favor it was not thought beneath the dignity of gentlemen or even of scholars to try to win that favor by paying court to the sovereign person. Now that such advancement must come from the people, why should it be thought undignified for gentlemen or even for scholars to pay court to the sovereign people." It savors of sour grapes for educated men to despise public office. They know that they could not get elected nor could they deliver enough votes to get appointed by some one who has been elected to high office. With all their learning they have never learned the first essential of public service in a democracy, namely, how to win popular support.

"Department of Demagogics"

"Why not he frankly realistic about this question? We have had enough experience already to convince us that the office does not seek the man. So long as educated and virtuous men play the role of the shrinking violet public offices will be filled by the uneducated, the self-seeking and the corrupt. There is no hope for democracy unless intelligent and honest men run for office. They will have little success in the race for office unless they are trained for it. They will not be well trained unless colleges and universities train them.

"A department of demagogics is much needed in every great university. It would fill a gap quite as impression as that filled by existing departments in the general field of the sense sciences.