FIVE COLLEGES UNITE IN RUGBY ASSOCIATION

PRINCETON AND HARVARD NOT TO RECOGNIZE SPORT

At a hurriedly called meeting in New York City last Friday to form an intercollegiate rugby association, the following officers were elected: Professor Whitton of Princeton, president; Dean E. S. Griffith of Syracuse, secretary; M. E. Bothner '34 of Harvard, undergraduate-secretary.

An executive committee was elected representing Harvard, Yale, Princeton, Pennsylvania, and Syracuse. Its members are as follows: H. Cooper and H. Backiston, Princeton; C. Bullock, Yale; Bruce Elmore '34 and W. Van N. Jones '32, Harvard; E. Abrams and W. C. Ludi, Syracuse. Another representative will be chosen from Yale, and two from Pennsylvania.

Friday's meeting was suddenly called in order that it might take place before the dinner of the New York Rugby Club. Bothner was the sole Harvard representative, and some of the colleges were unable to send anybody on such short notice, but telegrams arrived from them authorizing the meeting, such as it was, to act for them. It is expected that Cornell and Dartmouth will be approached soon on the subject of joining the new organization.

The association formed is to be called the Intercollegiate Rugby Association of America. Perhaps the most important decision reached at the meeting was that Princeton and Harvard should not have rugby recognized this year by the respective athletic associations of the two colleges.