RUGBY GOES NATIONAL

The participation of Harvard, Yale, Princeton, Pennsylvania and Syracuse in the formation of an intercollegiate body to govern the playing of rugby in American colleges may seem, at first sight, to remove some of the informality which has so characterized the success of the game at Harvard for the past two years. Actually, however, the new governing board will, if anything, remove the game even further from the ken of organized personal supervision. That is attested by the important decision of the Harvard and Princeton players not to apply for recognition as a minor sport for this year at least. The association will, moreover, assure a great degree of uniformity in the practice of the rules and will impart, by its advisory board some measure of national standing.

Reference has been made elsewhere in these columns to the success at Harvard of rugby as a purly informal game played only for the amusement it gives. The resolution to abstain from an official status undoubtedly expresses the will of the players to keep it so. In England men continue the game years after their college days; they are fortunate in that country because of the great number of amateur rugby clubs. Not the least of the merits of this new association would be an attempt to formulate more local clubs similar to the New York Rugby Club so that the graduate members may actively continue their interest in the new m new sport.