HOCKEY TEAM BATTLES MINNESOTA AT GARDEN

FRESHMAN, JAYVEE TEAMS BLANK THEIR OPPONENTS

While the Jayvees and Freshman were skating around their opponents, Andover and St. Mark's, winning easy victories, the University hockey team was going through a last practice session before facing the University of Minnesota tonight.

For the first time in the 32 years of American hockey, the collegiate championship of the United States may be de- termined when the Crimson sextet meets the University of Minnesota team at the Boston Garden tonight. The Minnesotans have rated as the outstanding hockey team of the western half of the country for the last year, and only just failed, by a loss last night to become the American Olympic Squad.

Harvard's chances for victory seem quite good, as the Westerner's suffered a hard-fought defeat last night in the final round of the East-West tourney for Olympic honors. Had the Minnesota team overcome the combination of New York and Boston players, the Crimson would have today have had an opportunity to show itself superior to the nation's Olympic team; but the stellar play of Douglass Everett '31, and J. B. Garrison '31, forwards on last year's University sextet, helped to down the western champions with a 4 to 0 score.

Not much is known as to the quality of play which the Minnesota stickmen will display as compared with the fast game which has sent the Crimson through a difficult schedule with considerable success. They are reputed to play an open, hard-checking game, and possess a forward line which has excited much favorable comment all over the country. But if the University skaters can shake off these invaders, and then follow with wins over Dartmouth and Yale, there will be no dispute as to the claims which they will hold forth on the collegiate championship of the country.

The hockey team was at its best in downing a stiff opposition from the University of Toronto, and Coach Stubbs has every reason to feel confidence in every part of his team. His charges are slated to play the Polish Olympic contenders a week from tonight, and are hoping for a victory in their second introduction into Olympic circles. The all-Polish six will repair direct to Boston for this fixture on landing in New York.

Skating in a leisurely fashion yesterday afternoon the Harvard Jayvees spent the three periods of their game with Andover in piling up their victory of 11 to 0, quite untroubled by the efforts of the schoolboys.

With the initial score by G. T. Clapp '34 after barely a minute of play, the Crimson defense and forward lines moved into Andover territory, entrenched themselves there for the next half hour, and kept the game pretty much among themselves, enlivening it with occasional brilliance in shooting.

With each man on the University seconds, excepting the goalie, enjoying ample scoring opportunities, no player displayed outstanding hockey. The occasional Andover drives found the defense back and organized around the net, which Matthew Hale, Jr. '32, and C. E. Ware '34 valiantly defended against the few but swift shots which the schoolboys managed to produce.

The summary:

HARVARD JAYVEES  ANDOVERBrown, Foster, N. Ware, r.w.  l.w., Darling, Jackson, Wickwire, WardGallagher, Braggiotti, Sommers, c.  c., Cooke, BadgerWadsworth, Stone, J. Ware, l.w.  r.w., Fawce, CushmanClapp, Thorndike, r.d.  l.d., Widdecomb, O'NeillChoate, Gleason, Sutcliffe, l.d.  r.d., Gardner, PlattHale, C. E. Ware, g.  g., Barton, Braynar