Heating and Ventilation Systems of New Memorial Chapel Are of Most Modern Type--Draught Forced by Fan in Tower

The heating and ventilating systems of the new Memorial Chapel are of the most modern type. The building, which will be supplied with heat from the University heating tunnels, is being equipped with a complete system of hot air pipes which go to all parts of the structure. The steam enters the building in the basement through a small tunnel leading from the main heat tunnel, which goes past the West end of the Chapel. At the entrance to this small tunnel is the steam control room, where the pressure entering the building can be regulated. The steam is then piped to a large radiator, about eight or ten times the size of that of an ordinary house radiator, which is situated in an enclosed room. Cold air will be blown into this room, heated by the radiator, and then distributed to all parts of the chapel by a large number of branching pipes. The draught will be forced by a huge exhaust fan, which has been placed in the tower and will draw the air up through the building and out through the tower. There is also a smaller radiator in another enclosed room, under the choir, for use in heating that part of the building when it is unnecessary to heat the nave. The exhaust fan in the tower will be used for ventilation purposes in warm weather, when cool air will be distributed through the building by another system of pipes. All the heating and ventilating pipes are being covered by a special sound-proof material, to dampen any possible noise resulting from the fans.

The nave of the Chapel is to be separated from the choir by a wooden screen, so that the choir alone will serve as a chapel on week-days, the whole building being used only on Sundays and special occasions. The choir, situated in the East end of the Chapel, is so planned that it will constitute a small chapel in itself, the only changes from the ordinary layout being the addition of some movable seats and the moving of the organ consoles back into niches in the wall, to make more room in the choir.