THE CLOSING HOUR AT WIDENER

During the two weeks since classes began there has been evident an increasing amount of dissatisfaction at the inconvenience caused by the closing of Widener Library at six o'clock every evening. The CRIMSON commented on this question in an editorial of September 23, but the continued protest against the Library policy justifies a restatement of the issues involved.

It has been pointed out by some that economics ought to be made in other departments of the University instead of in the Library, which serves such an essential function. The fact is that cuts have been made in the budgets throughout the University and that the Library must make its own saving. The library budged had to be out ten per cent. A saving of $19,000 was made by reducing the purchases of books and by leaving unfilled vacancies on the staff. A further economy of $16,000 was effected by shortening the when the Library is open. This sum could be cut in no other part of the Library budget without crippling its essential service to the University.

The groups in the University most seriously affected by the loss of the chance to use Widener in the evening are graduate students, commuters, athletes, and men who either have jobs or are working in the laboratories during the afternoons. Even these men are not really prevented from doing their assigned library work. It should be remembered that books can be taken from the reading room at six o'clock. If commuters or graduates simply want a place to work, Boylston is available. The other groups have also the use of the House libraries which supply many of the books demanded in courses.

The early closing of Widener is at worst an annoying inconvenience. Any student who budgets his time to suit the new circumstances should find opportunity to do his required reading. The economy effected by the new library schedule is demonstrably essential. It is the only point at which the University has curtailed its provision for its students and the retrenchment should be accepted as necessary in spite of the inconvenience it entails.