Harvard Eleven Favored in Fiftieth Anniversary Dartmouth Clash, First Of Five Successive Major Contests

Harvard Team Has Shown Great Scoring Strength in Opening Season Walkovers

Starting its fiftieth anniversary clash with the Dartmouth Indians at 2 o'clock this afternoon in the Stadium, a favored Harvard Varsity football team will enter the first major contest of the year and will meet the first of five consecutive threats to an undefeated season.

Harvard's great scoring power should prove the decisive factor in the outcome of today's contest, and Coach Casey has good reason to feel fairly confident of the outcome of the game. The Indians will unquestionably let loose a heavy aerial barrage, but the Crimson players have been well drilled during the past week against just such an offensive, and in any case they should be able to match two touchdowns to one of the Big Green team.

Harvard's Scoring Punch

Although the Indians have had a much harder early season schedule than Coach Casey's men, the general consensus of opinion grants that Hageman and his teammates have shown an unusual scoring punch thus far, and Dartmouth is hampered by having an entirely new and different offensive this year, built around Pop Warner's Stanford shifts, to which the Indian players have had some difficulty acclimating themselves.

Pre-game prophecies would indicate that the Crimson players should pile up about four touchdowns to their opponents' two. The Indians have been somewhat crippled by the loss of their stellar punter, Bill Clark, as well as that of Al Baldwin, 198-pound regular tackle, while Hageman and his first string teammates will enter the game intact, with Johnny Grady, the season's discovery, as the only man outside of Bennett who will not be available for this afternoon's clash.

Although shaken by their 14-7 defeat at the hands of Pennsylvania last Saturday, the Indians are entering the Stadium confident of putting up a real fight, as they undoubtedly will do. Dartmouth played good football against the Quakers, but according to Coach Jack Cannell, the Big Green team will be much nearer its full strength today against Harvard. However, the Crimson players learned a good lesson in the evils of overconfidence last year, and there is little probability that they will suffer from the same malady this year. The situation comes down to the point that while Dartmouth has a good team, Harvard possesses a crack eleven with a powerful offensive, and the reserves which formed Casey's chief problem earlier in the season have developed rapidly.

Sammy Fishman, the "Maiden Minnow," together with Ikea Powers are expected to show the Harvard players something in the way of running this afternoon. Both backs did well against Pennsylvania last weekend. Ward Donner is another Indian whom football fans will remember as one of the best ends produced last season, and he is as well a noted pass receiver. Dave Hedges, starting right halfback, is a veteran player.

In the last ten years Harvard has won four out of the ten clashes. Out of the 38 contests played since 1882, Harvard has won 28, two have been tied, and Dartmouth has come out on top in eight.

The Dartmouth team arrived yesterday afternoon at 4.40 o'clock and went at once to the Kenmore Hotel. They will not turn out on Soldiers Field until about 12 o'clock this morning. Harvard players had a light practice yesterday, rehearsing their own plays and practicing one or two kickoffs.

About 40,000 spectators are expected to be in the Stadium today. The H.A.A. ticket office closes at 11 o'clock this morning, but tickets will be on sale at gates 3, 4, and 6 at 12.30 o'clock.DAVE HEDGES, starting at right half back for the Indians.