SPECIAL SESSION

In response to recommendation from a few business leaders, Dean Donham of the Harvard Business School has announced a special session for business executives and college graduates who are now unemployed. Concentrated into the short term from January to August will be the whole of the Business School's first year course; men who have passed it may enter the second year course next year. By shortening the period of time, the cost of board and room are reduced to a minimum.

This step, which is not new in the history of the Business School, has many advantageous features. Depletions in the school roster may thus be filled and the budget aided correspondingly. To white-collar men who have sufficient permanent income or family support such a session will provide the training and prestige of the Business School course; such men will also be spared the demoralizing effect of long, unsuccessful search for positions and its attendant mental stagnation.

But it is unfortunate that the cost will withhold these advantages from those who could make most use of them. True, there will be limited scholarships for able students who are financially dependent, but the limitation must necessarily be great. Regardless of class, the man without support of any kind, whose search for a position has been fruitless, and whose mind becomes consequently ever more bitter and stale is the most pressing problem of any depression. The present step of the Business School has many recommendations, but it can claim small virtue as an altruistic relief measure.