VICTORY OF ROOSEVELT PROPHESIED BY THOMAS

SAYS SOCIALISTS HAVE CHANGE OF WINNING IN 1936

"Roosevelt should have little difficulty in winning the coming Presidential election", said Norman Thomas, Socialist candidate for President, in an interview yesterday with the CRIMSON. "And I say this in spite of the results of the many straw votes in various colleges throughout the country, particularly at Harvard, which have given Hoover such a large plurality.

"College polls are of little practical value", the Socialist leader went on, as he, Mrs. Thomas, and their youngest daughter were walking from the Socialist Party head quarters to the Tremont Temple, where he addressed a large gathering last night. "Nine out of ten college students have no political mind of their own, and vote merely after the fashion of their family's political ties and sympathies. The majority of the social class who send their children to college, are Republican, and therefore it is not surprising that Boover should be such a favorite in college polls. Likewise, it certainly is not to the credit of the college man or woman, that he or she should have so little persuasion of his own.

"Yes, I believe that the Socialists should poll in the vicinity of 2,000,000 votes this year", Mr. Thomas replied in answer to a question in regard to a recent statement to the CRIMSON by Beywood Broun '10. "I have been equally surprised and gratified with the interest in the great strides toward organization which the Socialist party has demonstrated in the past few months. If this enthusiasm continues, as well as the recent stream of converts to Socialism, my party should have a very good chance to win the election in 1936.

"If the Socialist party should win, I believe that either the Republicans or the Democrats would soon be swallowed up by it. Which of them, I cannot say, and moreover, do not care. This country is incompatible to anything but a bi-party system, as has already been proved in municipal and local elections. Examples of fusion have already been shown in many minor offices. Such a condition as now exists in England, namely, a coalition or National government, might be possible some day. But if this did come about, it would be under far different conditions than those now existing in Great Britain