ELLIOTT ESTIMATES U.S. STAND TOWARD LEAGUE

SAYS U.S. MUST JOIN IF LEAGUE LASTS NEXT FEW YEARS

"If the League of Nations survives the next few years, the United States will be compelled to join," said W. Y. Elliott, professor of government, in an interview yesterday with a CRIMSON reporter. "It is rather clear that our position on the Stimson doctrine of non-recognition of Manchukuo, the retention of our consuls here, and the "Open Door" policy is apt to get us into difficulties, which would have been less troublesome, if we had been a member of the League.

"Although we are attempting to maintain a "splendid isolation" and play a lone hand, our whole policy is bringing us closer and closer to the League of Nations," the noted scholar of world affairs continued. "We are more likely to be dangerously involved in the Far East, if we continue to play this lone hand. As things are now, we enjoy the disadvantages of both being a member and a non-member of the League, and the advantages of neither. At present, we have one foot in and one foot out of the League. Although our consul at Geneva has been present at one meeting of the Council, we are not in a position at present to act preventatively through the League, to the de- gree of the United States was a member, and even though an act of violation of the Kellogg Peace Pact does involve us. The platforms of both parties have accepted consultation to supplement the Pact. Why not regularize it through the League?

"One may say that one of the great tragedies of the recent history of our country was Wilson's failure to accept the League with reservations, when it was reported by Lodge, who was then head of the Senate Foreign Relations Committee. If Wilson had accepted these terms, the country would have joined the League with unanimity. At the period when the resolution to join the League was defeated, the main argument of its critics was that it would in time become a sort of super-state, and would take away the powers of the American Congress. Now, by one of the choice ironics of history, they think the League of Nations has not got enough power.

"All this is just another example of the falsification of public opinion made possible through the organization of our Senate, particularly in relation of Foreign Affairs