WESTWOOD HELD TO TIE BY HARVARD MALLETMEN IN FAST OPENING GAME

FRESHMEN TAKE EASY VICTORY FROM ARTILLERY

Sharp, clean hitting characterized the hard-fought tie game between the Harvard Varsity and the Westwood teams in the opening match of the indoor polo season at the Commonwealth armory Saturday night. One of the most exciting exhibitions the armory has witnessed in years, it was played neck and neck to the last going. For six chukkers the Crimson riders staved off the determined attacks of Clark, formerly on a crack Harvard team, Palmer, present Harvard coach, and Phillips, mainly through the consistent scoring or Captain F. S. Nicholas '33. Just as the timer's bell sounded the end of the game, W. C. McGuckin '34 smashed home, from the midst of a spirited scrimmage, the deadlocking score, making the final result 8 1-2 to 8 1-2.

Both Teams Well Mounted

Both teams were well mounted although the University aggregation seemed slow to get under way. The West wood trio attained an early lead of four to one in the first two chukkers; and both teams made a point in the third. By this time the Crimson had caught its second wind, and started off the fourth period with a rush, scoring four times in rapid succession, and, for a while, tying the Greenshirts. The fifth chukker saw the hardest riding of the evening, with one point scored by the Varsity. The sixth and last meeting was tight and studied, each team striving to shove home the deciding point and at the same time ride off its opponent.

The Freshman team lifted a victory easily out of grasp of the 51st brigade team, which did not seem to click during the contest. Peter Jay and E. H. Gerry starred for the Freshmen, and the final chukker ended, the yearlings leading the army 8 1-2 to 4. HARVARD  WESTWOOD McGuckin. No. 1  No. 1. Clark Davis, No. 2  No. 2. Phillips Nicholas, back back  Palmer (Dillingham)

Score--Harvard 8 1-2 Westwood 8 1-2. Goals--Clark 5, Nicholas 5, McGuckin 3, Davis, Dillingham. Fouls--Harvard 1-2. Westwood 1-2. Time-Six 5-minute chukkers Referee--Walsh. FRESHMEN  51ST ARTILLERY Gerry. No. 1  No. 1. Young (Cunningham) Jay, (Gerry),  No. 2. No. 2. Eckfeldt (Moore) Davis, (Prentiss), back  back, Moore, (Cunningham)

Score--Freshmen 8 1-2, 51st Artillery 4. Goals--Jay 4, Gerry 2. Eckfeldt 2, Young Davis, Cunningham Fouls--Freshmen 11-2 Referee--Walsh.