SHAPLEY TO SPEAK AT MEETING OF SIGMA XI

LARGE HARVARD DELEGATION TO ATTEND ANNUAL SESSION

Harlow Shapley, Paine Professor of Practical Astronomy, will deliver the principal address at the National convention of the Society of Sigma Xi, national honorary society for scientific research, at Atlantic City, New Jersey, on Wednesday, December 28. The Harvard chapter will send a large delegation to the convention.

Now Theories of Investigation

The title of Shapley's lecture will be "Fact and Fancy in Cosmogony," and will deal with new theories of astronomical and physical investigation, with particular attention to relativity. Preceding the meeting of Sigma Xi, which is the scientific counterpart of Phi Beta Kappa, the America Association for the Advancement of Science will meet on December 27, at Atlantic City. K. F. Mather, professor of Geology, is secretary of this group. The session will be featured by a symposium on the late Pleistocene and recent changes of level along the North Atlantic Coast.

Recently elected officers of the Harvard chapter of Sigma Xi, installed last Tuesday, are G. H. Parker '87, professor of Zoology and director of the Zoological Laboratory, president; J. B. Conant '14, Sheldon Emery Professor of Organic Chemistry, vice-president; K. F. Mather, professor of Geology, secretary; W. L. Crum, professor of Economics, treasurer; and L. D. Leet, instructor in Geology, assistant secretary. Parker has been mentioned as a likely possibility for national presidential candidate of the honorary society.