UNKNOWNS STAR IN WINTER TRACK HANDICAP EVENTS

Record and Grady Look Good in Hurdles And Dashes-Sutermeister Should Take Pole Vault

Liberal handicaps and latent talent combined to bring many inexperienced field men to the fore in the three events of the annual winter handicap track meet held on Soldiers field Yesterday. The majority of the events are slated for today and should attract University letterman, graduate students, and freshman. Yesterday Freshmen did well throughout, excelling in the high jump, which resulted in a quadruple tie between three Freshmen and a Sophomore.

The results of the shot put and broad jump were equally surprising. G. F. Bennett '32, with a two and one half foot handicap allowance, hurdled the weight 43 feet, 10 inches, outdistancing J. H. Dean '34, promising Crimson weight thrower, by a foot. J. Van R. Strong '34 led the field of broad jumpers, his five foot handicap boosting him to an excellent distance, 23 feet, 4 1-4 inches.

Today's Events

Entrants for today's events would do well to sign up on the bulletin board in the Dillon Field. House so that Coaches Edward Farrell and Jaakko Mikkola can make out some of the handicaps before hand. At 2.30 o'clock the 45-yard high hurdles will be run off in the Briggs Cage. It appears doubtful whether or not any reasonable handicap could keep such stars as E. E. Record '32 and J. C. Grady '32 from forgoing to the front. At 2.50 o'clock a large field of entrants will try for medals in the 50-yard dash. J. B. Hawes '32 and A. C. Forbes '32 are prominent among the representatives of the Crimson track team who are entering this event. The scene will then shift to the Old Cage for the pole vault at 3 o'clock. This event should be of great interest as it is the first trial which the University vaulters will have this year in preparation for the meet on Saturday. Oscar Sutermeister '32 won the fall handicap meet from scratch, and should annex a place in this one. The distance runs follow: The three-quarter until grind at 3.20 o'clock; the 600-yard run at 3.30 with H. F. Kellmeyer '33 as a likely the victor, and the 1000-yard race at 3.45 o'clock. Ten minutes later the 300-yarders will too the mark, with N. P. Dodge '88 as a possible winner. The one and a half mile event at 4.15 o'clock finishes the track items and should be closely contested. Should J. L. Reid 3L. decide to enter this run be may figure largely when the runners near the tape. Arthur Foote '32 is another promising entrant for this event. The weight throw will be held in the Old Cage at 4 o'clock, and should be a good first test of Harvard's future representatives in the weight-throwing classes. The Summary:

High jump tie between F. J. Daly (Six Inches) R. S. Small '85 (eight inches) Luther Schedy '85 (four inches) 5 feet and N. E. Neer $5 (eight inches) 5 feet 11 inches.

Shot Put Won by G. F. Rennett '32 (two and one half year); second J. B. Dean '34 (one foot); third W. A. Fink (eleven inches) and E. E. Calvin is feet 4 1-4 inches.

Broad Jump Won by Strong (five feet); second W. L. Clark '88 (three feet); third tie between William McKennan and M. M. Calvin '88 (scratch) is a feet 4 1-4 inches.