BASEBALL SMOKER SET FOR TONIGHT

First Meeting of Squad to be Held on February 23-Only Eight Veterans Return

Gathering tonight at 8 o'clock in the Harvard Club of Boston, the members of last year's University baseball squad will attend a smoker, the occasion of which is the awarding of the Wendell Bat and the Wingate Cup, along with many of the graduates in this vicinity who were especially interested in baseball in their college days.

The Wendell Bat is awarded each year to the best better of the previous season, and the Wingate Cup is given to the best all-round player. The award of the Wendell Bat is figured upon the number of times the winner reached first base, the number of stolen bases, total runs, and sacrifice hits, while that of the Wingate Cup is made on the basis of general excellence of play.

Opening Practice

Although originally scheduled to start February 15, practice for the University and Freshman teams does not begin until February 23, when all battery men will get their first work-out under the direction of Coaches Fred Mitchell and Claude Davidson. University fielders will be called out on February 29, and the Freshman fielders on March 7, Prospects for the season look none too bright, as only eight veterans from last year's team are available. They are Captain A. J. Lupien '32, Reginald Fincke, Jr. '32, R. D. Kiernan '33, J. P. McCaffrey '32, E. A. Mays, Jr. '32, J. E. Sheldon '32, H. W. Taylor '33, and W. B. Wood, Jr. '32. Charles Devens '33, a member of the 1930 squad, is also expected to be on hand. Several members of last year's Freshman nine are expected to make his for places on the team, including John Ware, Jr. '34, captain of the 1934 team, P. deB, deGive '34, J. vanR. Strong '34, F. H. Gleason '34, Nathaniel Ware '34, Benjamin Beale '34, T. A. Lupien '34, W. R. Sutcliffe '34, and J. P. Lee '34.