WASHINGTON DISPLAY AT LIBRARY

Lincoin's Six-Volume Edition of Works of Shakespeare Also Shown

Books from Washington's library, several with his autograph on the title page, are new on exhibition in the Treasure Room at the College Library. These include a Latin Lexicon, and a copy of "The Private Life of Lewis XV." Together with early biographies, there is also a copy of his diary, open at the following extract, which refers to a portrait new in Adams House: "Sat from ten to one o'clock for a Mr. Savage, to draw my portrait for the University of Cambridge, in the state of Massachusetts, at the request of the President and Governors of the said University."

Reproductions are shown of portraits by Trumball and Peale, the originals of which hang in Memorial Hall. Among the collection of documents are letters to Colonel Putnam, General Schuyler, and General Lincoln, together with miscellaneous notes dated from 1772 to 1786.

Also on exhibit is one of the most interesting works form Lincoln's library a six-volume edition of Shakespeare which was presented to the Library by Charles Moore '78, together with three letters which trace the title of the set form its presentation to Lincoln. An accompanying note reads. "The story of that last Sunday, and the dramatic scene on board the steamer when President Lincoln read the passage form 'Macbeth' which afterward seemed a presage of his own tragic death is recalled by this gift."

A history of the Lincoln-Douglas debates is open at an interesting account of the disastrous effect of the first debate on Mr. Lincoln. There is an early copy of Congressman Lincoln's speech on the Mexican War, delivered in 1848 and several reproductions of early pictures. Among the Lincoln documents are an appointment, letters to the Secretaries of State and of the Interior and an early document in his own hand.

A letter to his son is accompanied by an envelope adressed: "Robert T. Lincoln, Cambridge, Mass," boating the postmark "Washington, D. C.-Free" and the signature "A Lincoln" in the corner.