NEUTRALS IN THE AIR

As the weaker and aggrieved country. China naturally not only attracts considerable verbal sympathy, but also active help of a warlike nature, which in most cases is to be deplored. The recent determination of certain Canadian aviators to offer their services to the Chinese army upon being deprived of occupation by a cut in the air force of their own country is an incident which may result in the most grave consequences if the intention is carried out.

Although in official quarters the Canadian department of national defence has avoided responsibility for their erstwhile airmen by stating that there was nothing to prevent such an action, since Great Britain, recognizes no state of war existing between the two oriental countries, nevertheless good feeling with Japan will certainly not be promoted. History offers us numerous examples in which the flames of international hatred have thus been fanned through members of a natural country fighting on the side of another nation embroiled in war.

The mere knowledge that a body of their countrymen or relatives is fighting on the side of China will bring many Canadians and Britishers into a belligerent frame of mind toward the Japanese. There is a possibility that a second Lafayette Escadrille may be formed, and a body of this kind, such as existed during the World War, would have infinitely more dangerous consequences in the present case, since most of the fighting is being done around the international settlement.

In another phase of the question, this action of members of neutral nations in joining the Chinese army, for certainly none will join the efficient Japanese one, while the basic motives are praise-worthy, will nevertheless undermine and render most difficult all attempts of neutral nations to interfere or arbitrate in the struggle.

The English-speaking countries are probably at the moment more actively pre-Chinese than any other nations. A few unfortunate incidents in connection with Japanese treatment of their nationals engaged in the struggle would probably arouse feeling in England and America to a fever pitch. It should be the daty of all intelligent men, however favorable they may be to China, to discourage in the interests of world peace such actions as that of the Canadian airmen, which cannot greatly aid the Chinese and which will inevitably bring about serious and unavoidable consequences for all the nations involved.