FOUR NEW COURSES IN SOCIOLOGY WILL START NEXT YEAR

Hope to Lessen Amount of Memory Work And Increase Creative Study--Will Institute Pro-seminary

The opening of four undergraduate courses to be given for the first time under the Department of Sociology and the institution of a pro-seminary for graduate students were announced last night by Professor P. A. Sorokin, chairman of the department.

Available to undergraduates in the department next year will be half courses on the following subjects: "Social Organization and Structure", by Professor C. S. Joslyn, "Social Pathology and Social Policy: Case Study and Treatment of Handicapped and Maladjusted Individuals", by Associate Professor James Ford '04, "The Ethics of the Family", by Professor R. C. Cabot '89 and a full course on "Criminology and Penology", conducted by Professor Sheldon Glueck '24, of the Law School.

Professor C. C. Zimmerman, who returned this fall from an extensive governmental survey of agricultural conditions in Siam, will give Sociology 8 and 13 on "Rural Sociology", and "Sociology and the Family". Sociology 1 will be conducted exclusively by Professor Sorokin next year while Professor L. J. Henderson '98 will give a special seminary on the sociological theories of Pareto, assisted by C. P. Curtis, Jr., a member of the Corporation. Courses 3, 5, and 9 will be bracketed for the year. Professor Talcott Parsons will present a special half-course on "New Sociological Theories".

Changes in the requirements for the advanced degrees, Master of Arts and Doctor of Philosophy, were also announced. These have been designed to lesen the amount of memory work and increase creative study. It is hoped that these new specifications will discourage cramming and reduce the number of ultimate failures. The main feature of the first-year work for graduate students will be a pro-seminary class. Each student will take courses under at least three different professors. In this way the faculty professors of the department will have adequate opportunity to observe the work of each individual. At the end of the year, the men will be divided into three groups. Those in the first group will be exempted from the examination; the second group, to continue, must qualify in an oral examin- ation designed to test mental ability and not memory; the third group will be advised to discontinue.

While ordinarily the candidate for the Ph.D. degree will select six out of the 17 regular fields the flexibility of the system will be stressed at all times and certain students may be allowed to substitute some other subject such as law